UPDATE: Danville murder case moves forward to grand jury

By  | 


Charges are moving forward against a Danville man, accused of killing two people in November.

A judge has certified charges against Onis Moon, following a preliminary hearing in Danville General District Court Thursday. Moon is facing two counts of murder for the deaths of Royal Douglas Barley, 83, and his wife, Valean Ferrell Barley, 87. The couple was found dead at their home on Lexington Avenue in Danville November 7.

During Moon's preliminary hearing Thursday, Danville Police Lieutenant Richard Chivvis testified about a conversation he had with Moon after the murders. Chivvis said Moon made the statement, "God forgive me, I did it, I took someone's life you should take mine."

Moon's case will move forward to an upcoming Grand Jury, where indictments will be considered.


Court documents reveal the daughter of two people found stabbed to death in Danville earlier this month said she was in a relationship with the man accused of killing her parents, and that she watched the murder happen.

In search warrants filed in Danville Circuit Court, police say Sandra Faye Callands admitted to officers that she was in an active relationship with Onis Moon and that she watched Moon stab her parents.

Moon is charged with first degree murder in connection with the deaths of Royal Douglas Barley, 83, and his wife, Valean Ferrell Barley, 87.

In the search warrant a Danville police officer said he found Moon with blood on his hands shortly after the murders occurred. Moon was located several houses away from the home on Lexington Avenue where the stabbings happened, according to the officer.

In court documents police say Moon admitted to drinking alcohol and being around illegal drugs shortly before the murders would have occurred.

Police wrote in search warrants that a knife was found at the Lexington Avenue house and is considered evidence, along with other blood stained clothing items.

Moon is scheduled to be in Danville General District Court for a preliminary hearing January 10.