Danville utility worker dies following electrocution

By  | 

DANVILLE, Va. (WDBJ7) A Danville utility worker has died after being electrocuted at a job site Thursday morning.

A spokesperson for Danville's city manager said Samuel Thompson, an employee of Danville Power and Light, was electrocuted while working on a power line on Applewood Drive in Pittsylvania County.

Utilities Director Jason Grey said Thompson was inside the elevated bucket truck when the accident occurred. Utility, fire and rescue crews responded.

"We are deeply saddened to lose a member of the Danville utilities family,” Grey said. “This is a difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with Sam’s family, friends and coworkers.”

City Manager Ken Larking added, "My heart goes out to Sam’s family and his friends. We have a close-knit group of co-workers in our utilities division who are grieving his loss. He was well regarded among his friends here and will be missed."

Thompson, 63, worked as a lineman for the utilities department for more than 20 years.