UPDATE: Prosecution officially rests in Fields trial

5:09 p.m.
The defense called its first witnesses Tuesday afternoon. Multiple law enforcement officers took the stand to testify about Fields' state after the crash.

A member of the sheriff's department said that Fields was cooperative and eventually pulled over after being followed with lights and sirens.

Fields did not have any weapons with him in his car and had one change of clothes. He did have a yellow stain on his short and had an odor of urine, according to one officer.

The defense is expected to call eight witnesses Wednesday and should hand the case to the jury to deliberate by Thursday afternoon.

3:02 p.m.
The prosecution has officially rested its case in the James Fields Jr. trial.

The defense made a motion to strike multiple charges. The judge denied the motion and said, "I don't know what intent he would have had ... other than to kill people."

2:05 p.m.

In day four of testimony in the James Fields trial, jurors saw video recordings of Fields before, during and after his arrest.

Fields is facing 10 charges after he drove into a crowd of counter-protesters at last year’s Unite the Right rally, killing Heather Heyer and injuring 19 others.

Detective Steve Young took the stand for the second time in the trial. Young is the case agent with the Charlottesville Police Department.

Young first told jurors about text messages that were sent from Fields’ phone the day before the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville. The texts were between Fields and his mother.

According to the evidence brought forth in court, Fields texted his mom that he got off work and was able to attend the rally. His mother texted back, “be careful.”

Fields sent a text back to his mother that read, “We’re not the one who need to be careful.”

Fields attached a small image of Adolf Hitler to the text message.

The defense argued against the photo of Adolf Hitler being shown to the jury, but the judge ruled that it was admissible because the case centers on intent, malice and self-defense. Judge Moore said the picture does, or at least could, tell the jury something about Fields’ intent or state of mind.

Young then played body worn camera footage of his first encounter with Fields. The footage was taken after Fields drove his car into the crowd of counter protesters. Young and Fields were on Monticello Ave. where Fields stopped his car after driving away from the scene on 4th and Water St.

In the video, Fields apologizes more than six times.

When asked why he is sorry he said, “I’m sorry that…that I…I don’t know.”

Fields continued talking to the officer voluntarily.

“I didn’t want to hurt anyone, but they were attacking me. Even if they were attacking…they’re still people,” said Fields. “I feel bad for them.”

Fields told officers that members of “antifa”, short for "anti-fascist" a left-leaning, anti-racist group, were throwing stuff at him.

During testimony, Young jumped ahead to when Fields was in the interrogation room at the Charlottesville Police Department.
Fields asked the officer how the people he hit were doing. The officer told Fields that people were injured and that one person died.

In the video, Fields appears to go into a panicked state for about two minutes. He was breathing heavily and crying. After two minutes, Fields was able to calm himself down.

While the video played in court, Fields tapped his pencil rapidly and looked down.

Lastly, Fields was taken to the magistrate’s office. Jurors watched footage from an officer’s body camera when the magistrate asked Fields if he had anything to say.

Fields said he saw the two cars stuck at the bottom of the street. He said he had his GPS out and was trying to go home. Fields told the magistrate that he noticed a crowd surrounding the two cars and he felt like people were coming at him.

“I didn’t know what to do,” said Fields.

He said he backed up and couldn’t see much after the crash. In the video, Fields said his back windshield was broken. He wasn’t aware an officer was following him and as soon as he noticed, he said he immediately pulled over.

The defense pointed out that before Fields had his mug shot taken, he asked to clean his face.

Denise Lunsford, Fields’ attorney, asked Young if Fields' face was red and he had tears in his eyes. Young said it appeared as though Fields was red in the face.

The prosecution then asked Young questions about evidence found after Fields’ arrest, pointing to two phone calls that Field made to his mother from jail.

The phone conversations were played for jurors.

On March 21, 2018 Fields told his mother that he wasn’t doing anything wrong. He said he got mugged by a, “violent group of terrorists for defending my person.”

In a phone call on Dec. 7, 2017 Fields talked to his mother about a woman he said was slandering him. Fields' mother said the woman had just lost her daughter.

Fields then called the woman a communist and said, “She is the enemy.”

This was at the same time that Susan Bro, Heyer's mom, was making multiple public appearances.

The prosecution also called Brant Meyer, an FBI staff ops specialist, who analyzed Fields’ social media activity.

Myer testified that he found two Instagram posts that Fields shared three months before the rally in Charlottesville.

According to court documents, Fields shared a meme, or photo, on Instagram in May of 2017 that said, "You have the right to protest, but I'm late to work."

The image depicts a car driving into a crowd of people.

Prosecutors showed evidence that Fields private messaged a similar meme on May 12 to someone and added, "When I see protesters blocking."

The defense pointed out that Fields later deleted the public post.

The prosecution is expected to rest its case this afternoon. The defense will then start calling witnesses.

This is a developing story. Stay with WDBJ7 for updates.