Dog on the mend after a dye job that nearly killed her

LARGO, FL. (WDBJ7) A little five-pound Maltese-mix, named Violet, was nearly killed by a dye job.

Pinellas County Animal Services in Largo Florida posted graphic pictures on Facebook of the chemical burns she suffered when her owner tried to color her fur purple (her namesake).

“Do NOT, under any circumstances, use hair color intended for humans on your pets,” the shelter said in its Facebook post.

“Chemicals in hair dye are TOXIC causing a wide array of external injury to your pet - possible burns, blindness and because an animal’s first instinct is to lick, it can cause poisoning or internal burns.”

Three month later, Violet is recovering from her injuries, despite being off to a very grim start.

“Violet’s eyes were swollen shut, she was limp and listless, she had obvious burns to her skin,” the Facebook post said. “We gave fluids, pain meds and we gently washed as much of the chemical dye off as we could, we bandaged her up.”

But, there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

“When the final bandages came off we breathed a collective sigh of relief – Violet was beautiful,” the animal shelter wrote.

She now lives with a new family, who specialize in beautifying pets, and is very happy.