RICHMOND, Va. (WDBJ7) -- Virginia Lieutenant Gov. Justin Fairfax has issued a statement in which he again denied charges of sexual misconduct, and he also stated that those who have been victims need to be given a voice to express their claims.
"As a former prosecutor and someone who is close with a number of women who are survivors of sexual assault, I know that many survivors of sexual assault suffer in silence, and it is absolutely essential to their healing and our healing as a culture that we give all survivors the space and support to voice their stories," he said in the statement, released Wednesday.
He also detailed his claims that the alleged incident was consensual.
"As I have stated previously, fifteen years ago, when I was an unmarried law student, I had a consensual encounter with the woman who made the allegation," he said of Tyson. "At no time did she express to me any discomfort or concern about our interactions, neither during that encounter, nor during the months following it, when she stayed in touch with me."
Tyson has accused Fairfax of sexually assaulting her at the 2004 Democratic Convention.
In a tweet posted by NBC News, it is alleged that Fairfax used profanity and insulted Tyson in a private meeting. Fairfax addressed that claim in the statement Wednesday.
"I would like to encourage the media, my supporters, and others to treat both the woman who made this allegation and my family with respect for how painful this situation can be for everyone involved. I wish her no harm or humiliation, nor do I seek to denigrate her or diminish her voice," Farifax said.