Fire at Rives Theatre in Martinsville ruled accidental

By  | 

MARTINSVILLE, Va. (WDBJ7) -- Martinsville Fire and EMS ruled a fire destroying the Rives Theatre to be accidental.

Crews were called to the scene of the fire Sunday, Sept. 8 just after 8:30 p.m. Witnesses walking by the building noticed smoke and flames coming from inside.

According to Martsinville Fire and EMS, crews battled the fire for more than six hours.

Officials believe the fire started in an upstairs room, where two refrigerators were plugged into a single surge protector.

Martsinville Fire and EMS thanked the community for its support while fighting the blaze.

“During this time of such a tragic loss of an historical icon of Martinsville, our citizens once again have stood together to show support. This makes me proud to be a part of our great City and a servant of our citizens” Fire Chief/Fire Marshal Ted Anderson said.

Copyright 2019 WDBJ. All rights reserved.