Former Central Virginia Training Center resident dies following transfer

Tyler Bryant in 2013
Tyler Bryant in 2013(WDBJ)
Published: Mar. 20, 2017 at 5:27 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

For seven years Martha Bryant issued a dire warning about her twin sons, Taylor and Tyler.

"I think they'll be dead within days," Bryant told WDBJ7 in 2012. "This is life or death."

Bryant begged the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Development Services to leave her children at the Central Virginia Training Center, where she says they received "excellent" care for 20 years.

"They loved them like their own," Bryant said of her sons' treatment. "It wasn't just medication administration, it was TLC."

On January 17 the Bryant twins were moved, against their mother's wishes, to a psyciatric facility near Petersburg.

Eight weeks later Bryant is telling one of her children goodbye.

"I fought with everything I had to stop it," Bryant said about losing her son, Tyler, who died Thursday at the age of 23.

After being moved to Hiram Davis Medical Center in January, Bryant said her son's condition quickly diminished.

"A lot of suffering," Bryant said of the transfer and subsequent care. "A lot of preventable suffering."

State Senator Steve Newman (R-Bedford County) told WDBJ7 Thursday that Bryant's death is "of deep concern." He plans to ask for an independent state review of the situation.

"We really need to look into why the boys were moved to Hiram Davis to begin with," Newman said.

Although she lost the fight to save one of her sons, Bryant says her battle is not over.

"I need to get Taylor out of there before the same thing happens to him," said Bryant.

Tyler Bryant is the second person since last fall to die after being transferred from the Central Virginia Training Center to the Hiram Davis Medical Center.

The Virginia Department of Behavioral Heath and Developmental Services is not commenting on Bryant's situation. Last fall a spokesperson for the agency told WDBJ7 it gave Bryant a six-month warning that her son's skilled care unit would be closing and that she needed to find a new home for them.

Bryant said, despite her best efforts, she couldn't find a facility to handle her son's unique situation.