Jesse Matthew's family pleaded with him to help investigators before he went on the run

Jesse Matthew walks into Albemarle County court on Wednesday, March 2, 2016.
Jesse Matthew walks into Albemarle County court on Wednesday, March 2, 2016.(WDBJ)
Published: Mar. 24, 2016 at 11:00 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A newly unsealed federal arrest warrant reveals that Jesse Matthew’s family pleaded with him to cooperate with investigators in the Hannah Graham case before he went on the run to Texas.

According to the arrest warrant, Jesse Matthew’s aunt, Alice Fletcher, told investigators the family was trying to do everything they can to help the Graham family and urged Matthew to “do the right thing” if he had anything to do with Graham’s disappearance.

Fletcher told her nephew that Graham was “someone’s child” and encouraged Matthew to tell investigators “what went on” so investigators “can have a chance” to find the victim.”

A search warrant had already been executed at Matthew’s apartment on Sept. 19, 2014. On Sunday, Sept. 21, 2014, the family planned to get together to discuss the issue and what Matthew needed to do.

However, when Matthew’s mother woke up Sunday morning she told police that he took the keys to his sister’s car and left the house.

Fletcher told investigators that Matthew called his dad on Sept. 22, 2014. Cell phone records proved that the call used towers in Louisiana.

The search warrant reveals that a police license plate reader detected the car Matthew was in three times in Louisiana. The hits happened on Sept. 21, 2014 at 10:20 p.m. on Interstate 59 South near Slidell, Louisiana; Sept. 22, 2014 at 12:17 a.m. on Interstate 10 West near Laplace, Louisiana; and Sept. 22, 2014 at 12:38 p.m. on Interstate 10 West near Lake Charles, Louisiana.

Matthew was eventually arrested in Galveston, Texas, on September 24, 2014 and extradited to Virginia two days later.

Graham’s remains were found October 18, 2014 in Albemarle County.

On March 2, Matthew entered into a plea agreement for the murders of Graham and Roanoke County native Morgan Harrington. As part of the agreement, Matthew was sentenced to four life sentences.