UPDATE: Man dies after Radford Army Ammunition Plant fire

Published: Jun. 11, 2018 at 10:24 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A spokesperson for the Radford Army Ammunition Plant says one of the three victims in a June 11 fire at the plant has died.

Andrew Goad, 42, was an employee at the plant. Goad died on Saturday, June 16, due to injuries sustained during a fire at Radford Army Ammunition Plant (RFAAP) on Monday, June 11.

RFAAP Commander Lt. Col James "Jim" Scott and BAE Systems Ordnance Systems, Inc., Vice President and General Manager, Brian Gathright, will hold a press conference in the visitors' center across the street from the rockets at the RFAAP entrance at 8:45 p.m., June 16th.

"Andrew made the ultimate sacrifice. Producing munitions for our

Warfighters is dangerous work, and we greatly appreciate and honor his

sacrifice," said Scott.

"We are deeply saddened at the loss of one of our colleagues. Our thoughts and prayers are with Andrew's family and our employees and their families, especially those most deeply affected by our colleague's passing," said Gathright.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to recognize and thank the first

responders, fire department, safety group, production team, and all

employees who supported the response and recovery effort. Each and every one of your contributions made a difference. Thank you," said Scott.

BAE Systems will continue offering professional counseling services through their Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for support to employees.


One of three patients being treated for injuries sustained during a fire at the main propellant-manufacturing facility for the U.S. Department of Defense has been discharged from a North Carolina hospital.

A spokeswoman for Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center said Wednesday that Travis Mitchell, who was injured earlier this week at the Radford Army Ammunition Plant had been discharged and the other two, Andrew Goad and Dakota Grimmett both remain in critical condition.

All production at the facility in southwest Virginia has been suspended while an investigation is ongoing.

Officials say the flash fire occurred in a nitrocellulose drying facility Monday evening.

The plant is owned by the government and operated by defense contractor BAE Systems. A BAE Systems spokesman has declined to identify the victims or describe what kind of damage the building sustained.


Several social media posts have identified the three men as Travis Mitchell, Andrew Goad, and Dakota Grimmett.

Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center confirmed to WDBJ that two of the three men remain in critical condition.

Mitchell is reported to be in good condition. Goad and Grimmett are in critical condition.


Officials with the Radford Army Ammunition Plant or the Radford Arsenal tell us that there was a fire at the plant Monday evening in Radford.

Charles Saks, an official with the plant tells WDBJ7 that "nitrocellulose material in the drying process combusted and caused a flash fire" at approximately 7:30 p.m. Monday evening.

Saks says three employees at the plant were injured and have been transported to the hospital. The fire was deemed extinguished at 8:11 p.m. and is contained.

Chris Finley, Communications Manager with BAE Systems says that all production at the plant has been suspended at this time and all other personnel is safe.

An investigation into more details about the fire has begun.

Stay with WDBJ7 for the latest updates.