Police warrant details last time missing Roanoke woman was seen

Published: May. 4, 2017 at 1:15 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A new search warrant details the last time a missing Roanoke woman's family saw her alive.

Brittany Freeny was reported missing Monday, May 1. Her family confirmed to WDBJ7 Wednesday that her body was found near Boones Mill on a rugged hillside. The Franklin County Sheriff's Office was the lead agency on the scene and Roanoke City Police Department also had detectives there.

In the warrant, Freeny is identified as "Brittany Kasey." It states she was last seen by her sister Banea Kasey.

According to the warrant, Brittany left "the house" leaving her two children behind without supervision, which is "inconsistent with her behavior." Banea Kasey told investigators she saw Brittany get into a blue minivan with a man around 7 p.m. WDBJ7 is not naming the man because he has not officially been charged or named as a suspect.

Banea Kasey told police that at some time after 7 p.m., Brittany's children received a text stating that "she (Brittany)" would be home shortly. The warrant does not state what phone that text message came from.

Both family and police attempted to make contact with Brittany over the phone, but were unable to reach her. The warrant states there had been no further contact with Brittany since late evening May 1, which is "also an uncommon behavior."

The man who Brittany was seen leaving with returned to his home where he lives with his wife, which online records show is in the vicinity of Brittany's home, and "abruptly" took a shower. That man's wife drove the minivan and "children" to her sister's house. The warrant does not state whose children they were.

The sister-in-law of the man Brittany was seen leaving with told police when her sister arrived she came out and saw blood inside the minivan and smelled bleach. When the man's sister-in-law questioned her sister, the man's wife told her sister that the man told her "it was self-defense."

The man's sister-in-law told police he did not appear hurt. The man's wife left the next morning and as of Wednesday was unreachable.

Police searched the home of the man Brittany was seen leaving with and his wife. They seized bed clothes, blankets, curtains, clothing, a cell phone, and swabs of evidence.

A source tells WDBJ7 investigators are out of town questioning individuals that may have information about her disappearance.