BLACKSBURG, Va. (WDBJ) FINAL
The big rivalry ended with Virginia Tech beating West Virginia 31-24.
The Hokies have now won 8 games out of the total played with West Virginia.
The Virginia Tech Hokies take home the Black Diamond Trophy from FedEx Field.
Penalties put a halt on West Virginia's drive with head coach Dana Holgorsen receiving unsportsmanlike conduct.
After West Virginia tied up with Virginia Tech, the Hokies immediately made a come-back with a touchdown by Cam Phillips.
End of the third quarter leaves the score at 24-17, Virginia Tech.
With only 27 seconds left in the second quarter, Virginia Tech makes a touchdown bringing the Hokies in the lead 10-7.
Virginia Tech is to receive the second half kick.
West Virginia leads 7-3 in the 2nd quarter; about five minutes till half-time.
Virginia Tech and West Virginia meet again for the first time since 2005 on FedEx Field to play for the Black Diamond Trophy.
Frank Beamer is the winningest coach in Virginia Tech history, and likewise for Don Nehlen at West Virginia. Now, the two coaches will meet again as honorary captains for the match-up.
The two participated in the coin toss just before the 7:30 p.m. kick-off
As fans from both teams watch who will take home the Black Diamond Trophy, WDBJ7 has some history for you about the big rivalry:
1. This is the first time the teams have played since 2005. The last time they met, twitter didn't exist.
2. This is the first time the series has been played on a Sunday.
3. VT has won 7 of the last 10 games that they have played.
4. This is only the seventh time they've played on a neutral field. The last time was in Richmond in 1962.
5. They are bringing back the "Black Diamond Trophy"
6. This is the 125th Anniversary of Virginia Tech Football. Their first season was in 1892.