ROANOKE, Va. (WDBJ7) A fire at a Roanoke car dealership was started by a man burning a candle at the property, according to the Roanoke Police Department.
The fire happened around 12:07 a.m. Tuesday at the Auto Mart, which is in the 4300 block of Williamson Road.
Enrique Navarro Jr., 32, told officers he was burning a candle on the property and accidentally caught one of the vehicles on fire. The fire then spread to other vehicles. He remained at the scene while police were investigating.
Navarro was issued a summons for trespassing and was banned from the property.
The property owner will not pursue charges for destruction of property against Navarro.
Roanoke Fire and EMS, and the Roanoke Police Department are investigating a fire that happened early Tuesday morning.
Multiple fire units from both Roanoke City and Roanoke County Fire and EMS responded to the Auto Mart on the corner of Williamson Road and Barkley Avenue around 12:30 a.m.
They found flames shooting from under the hoods of about two or three cars in the parking lot when they arrived. Crews were able to put the fire out and had to use equipment to cut the hoods open to fully extinguish the flames.
The Roanoke City Fire Investigation Unit was called to the scene. Crews remained there as of 2 a.m.