Five police officers in Dallas killed by snipers

Published: Jul. 8, 2016 at 12:11 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
The Latest on the shooting of police officers in Dallas (all times local):
9:45 a.m.

The Dallas transit police chief says an officer who was fatally shot during a downtown protest was a newlywed whose bride also works for the police force.

Dallas Area Rapid Transit police Chief James Spiller described Officer Brent Thompson on Friday as a "courageous" and "great guy."

Thompson was among five police officers killed during a Thursday night demonstration to protest police shooting deaths of black men in Louisiana and Minnesota.

Spiller says Thompson got married two weeks ago. His wife, Emily, was not on duty at the protest.

The police chief last spoke to Thompson on Tuesday as they passed each other in a hallway. Spiller says he asked how the newlyweds were doing and how things were going with Thompson's job.

8:15 a.m.

Mayor Mike Rawlings says a bullet went straight through the leg of one police officer as snipers fatally shot three members of his squad during a protest in downtown Dallas.

Rawlings, who says he spoke to the wounded officer, said Friday that the officer expressed sorrow at his loss and that he felt "people don't understand the danger of dealing with a protest."

The mayor says it's important to uphold the right of people to protest, but that more care needs to be taken to ensure the safety of police officers at such events.

Snipers shot and killed five police officers and wounded seven more at the demonstration Thursday evening to protest the police killing of black men in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and St. Paul, Minnesota. Two civilians were also injured.

9:10 a.m. update

Police Chief David Brown says authorities are still not certain that they have identified everyone involved in an attack on a downtown protest march that killed five police officers.

Brown said Friday that investigators have not ruled out that others may have been involved in the attacks that left a total of 12 officers and two civilians shot.

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings says an overnight standoff with one suspect in a parking garage ended when police detonated an explosive about four hours after the attack began. Authorities say the explosive was attached to a robot to protect officers.

Brown would not reveal any details about other potential suspects that have been detained by police and interviewed.

8:45 a.m. AP UPDATE:

Dallas Police Chief David Brown says a suspect in the overnight attack that killed five police officers, wounded seven others and wounded two civilians said he was upset over the recent police shootings of black men and wanted to kill white people.

Brown said at a news conference that the suspect made the comments before he was killed by an explosive used by police.

He says his department and their families are grieving and that the divisiveness between police and the public must stop.

Authorities say snipers opened fire on police officers during a peaceful protest in downtown Dallas over the recent fatal shootings of black men in Louisiana and Minnesota. Authorities say three other suspects were arrested.

The chief says that the suspect was killed by a device detonated by police -- after negotiations broke down.


President Barack Obama says America is "horrified" by last night's shootings in Dallas that killed five officers and wounded seven officers and two civilians. Obama, who's in Poland for a NATO summit, says "there has been a vicious, calculated and despicable attack on law enforcement."

8:25 a.m. AP UPDATE:

A man wrongly identified by Dallas police as a suspect in a sniper attack on police says he turned himself in and was quickly released.

The Dallas Police Department put out a photo on its Twitter account late Thursday of a man wearing a camouflage shirt and holding a rifle with the message: "This is one of our suspects. Please help us find him!" The tweet remained on the account early Friday morning.

The man in the photo, Mark Hughes, tells Dallas TV station KTVT that he "flagged down a police officer" immediately after finding out he was a suspect. He says police lied during a 30-minute interrogation, telling him they had video of him shooting.

Videos posted online show Hughes walking around peacefully during the shooting and later turning over his gun to a police officer.

8 a.m. AP UPDATE:

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings says the suspect in a standoff with police has died.

Rawlings says a total of 12 police officers and two civilians were shot during a protest march in downtown Dallas.

Rawlings said Friday that he does not believe that any of the wounded victims have life-threatening injuries.

He says five officers were killed and seven more were injured when snipers opened fire during protests over two recent fatal police shootings of black men.

4 a.m. AP UPDATE:

Police in Dallas say a fifth officer has died after they were ambushed during a peaceful protest downtown. Another six officers were wounded.

Witnesses say hundreds of people protesting this week's police shootings in Louisiana and Minnesota were approaching City Hall when the shooting began.

Three suspects are in custody and police say a fourth suspect is in a downtown Dallas parking garage and has been exchanging gunfire with police. Dallas Police Chief David Brown says the gunman has said that he'll harm more officers.


Four law enforcement officers died in Dallas in a shooting during a Thursday evening protest. Dallas Police released a statement saying two snipers shot eleven officers from elevated positions during the protest over recent officer-involved deaths that happened this week. Three of those who died were members of Dallas Police, a fourth was an officer for DART, the Dallas Area Rapid Transit authority.

At least one more officer is in surgery, as of 1:30 a.m. EST, and three more are in critical condition. Four people are being identified as suspects; one is still engaging in a shootout with police at a parking garage, according to police chief David Brown. That suspect is threatening to kill more law enforcement officers and claims bombs are spread throughout downtown Dallas.

During a news conference before 2:00 a.m. EST, Brown said two people are being questioned following a car chase. One person was seeing walking quickly to put a camouflaged bag into a Mercedes and then quickly sped off. A woman located near the garage is also in custody.

Brown said multiple suspects perched from downtown parking garages and targeted officers with rifles. He added there are many stories of great courage by his officers and he couldn't be more proud to be in law enforcement.

“We are reaching out to the families of these officers and bring them to the hospitals,” he said. Brown pleaded for the public to help identify and arrest all involved.

The protest was in response to the deaths of two African-American men by police in different states. On Tuesday, Alton Sterling was killed in Baton Rouge, Louisiana after a struggle with police. The next day, Philando Castile was killed during a traffic stop in Falcon Heights, Minnesota. The CBS affiliate in Dallas says the protest was peaceful at all times until gunfire started.

This story is developing. Information may later turn out to be incorrect and will be updated frequently for accuracy.