SALEM, Va. (WDBJ7)-- One woman was taken to a hospital and two cats have died, following an apartment fire Wednesday morning in Salem.
According to Salem Fire & EMS, the first responding units arrived within four minutes of a call to an apartment at 121 Rutledge Drive and found a first-floor property on fire. The woman in the space was found unconscious and removed within seven minutes of the firefighters arriving.
Crews performed CPR and brought the woman's pulse back quickly, according to the press release. She was then taken to a hospital.
The fire did not spread to any other apartments, but left heavy damage in the living room and kitchen areas especially. The fire was brought under control in 14 minutes.
According to the Salem Fire Marshal's Office, the cause was determined to be accidental improper disposal of smoking materials.
The estimated damage amounts to $50,000.
Copyright 2019 WDBJ7. All rights reserved.