Woman injured, dog killed in Danville house fire

Danville Fire Department
By  | 

DANVILLE, Va. (WDBJ7) -- A woman is recovering after a house fire along Harrison Street in Danville.

Officials said it happened around 5:00 p.m. Monday afternoon.

The woman was able to get out of the house, but suffered burns to her face and hands. She is expected to be okay.

Crews found a dog inside the home and got it out, but were unable to save it.

Fire officials determined a lit cigarette that had been dropped caused the fire.

The fire damage was extensive in one apartment and occupants of both apartments were displaced.