SALEM, Va. (WDBJ) -- Pedro Castellanos drove in runs for the fifth-consecutive game but the effort fell short as Carolina edged Salem in extra innings 3-2 Tuesday night at Haley Toyota Field.
Pedro Castellanos knocked a double in the 3rd to crack the Mudcats, scoring Jarren Duran after his leadoff single to take a 1-0 lead.
Daniel Gonzalez held Carolina at bay through five innings before running into trouble in the 6th when Mudcats strung together four base hits to score two and take a 2-1 lead.
Gonzalez finished with 5-plus innings, surrendering 2 runs, 1 earned, and punching out 5.
The Red Sox answered in the bottom of the frame after Castellanos led off with another double and scored on a sacrifice fly by Victor Acosta to tie the contest 2-2.
Joan Martinez and Jake Cosart delivered scoreless relief against Carolina to force extra innings for the third time this season.
Joantgel Segovia stood 90 feet from home as the placed runner when Ryan Aguilar drove him in with a single to reclaim a 3-2 lead and the win.
* Pedro Castellanos: 2-for-4, RBI, R, 2 2B
* Victor Acosta: 1-for-3, RBI
* Jarren Duran: 2-for-5, R, 2 SB
* Daniel Gonzalez: 5.0 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
* Joan Martinez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K
* Pedro Castellanos has driven in runs in 5-straight games with his RBI double in the 3rd. Four of his last five hits have been doubles.
* The loss leaves Salem at a 1-2 mark in extra innings.
* Red Sox defense tagged two Mudcats runners at the plate tonight. Jagger Rusconi (RF) connected with Nick Sciortino (C) for the first out and Sciortino threw a scoop to Gonzalez covering home for the second.