Fatal apartment fire ruled accidental

Published: Sep. 21, 2022 at 5:26 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ROANOKE, Va. (WDBJ) - One person is dead and about 100 people are displaced after a fire Tuesday night in Roanoke.

Roanoke Fire-EMS was called to the Stratford Village apartments on Stratford Park Drive and found smoke and flames from the building that housed a largely senior and disabled population.

Three people in cardiac arrest were rescued from the building; two were resuscitated and taken to hospitals, with a third pronounced dead on scene. Two other patients were taken to hospitals with non-life-threatening injuries related to smoke inhalation, and others were treated and released on scene. No injuries to Fire-EMS staff were reported.

The Fire Marshal’s Office has determined the fire was accidental, and began as a result of improperly discarded smoking materials. The damages to the building and its contents have not been determined. (The city had released a specific dollar amount now said to be inaccurate.)

The displaced residents and pets are being assisted by the American Red Cross.